Monday, August 18, 2008

Wizard's First Rule

Warning this post is mostly about life. But I am sure some of these people play WOW..in fact most of them play DPS classes in WOW.

Yeah..I recognize my highest character is a DPS class...and one that most folks find to be played by idiots.

Oh..for those of you who have never read the Sword of Truth series.

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.

Or as K said:

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

For those of you who don't know, I work in customer service. I have heard/met all types of people. A person may be smart but once on the phone with a company they do business with they can turn ugly, mean and incredibly dumb.

For example:

Me: "Thank you for calling this is how may I help you?" (Sadly for 20 years of my life, this phrase has been uttered in most every conversation I've had with a customer...heck I've even answered my personal phone that way on occasion.)
Customer: (speaking rapidly or slowly or angerly or whatever) "Yeah I have a problem, something is wrong, blah blah blah." (okay numnuts, I just gave you my name, how about we start with Hi, Hello, Howdy, and maybe your name?)

Me: "Can I get your account number, please?"
Customer: "uh..hold on I don't have it memorized, or with me, or I am in the car and I can't be bothered to look it up." (Gah...how did you call a company and not know your account number, sadly I've done this myself, no I had my account number but by the time they answered I had set the paper with it down)

At my current job we have to verify who we are talking with, and we can do so with the last 4 digits of their SSN.

Me: "Could I get you to verify the last four digits of your SSN, please?"
Customer: "hold on, I need to find it, I don't have it memorized." (TBH, this comes from older folks normally, but still. How hard is it to memorize the number 25? /rimshot)


Okay little WOW tanking rant:

Normally, I explain to groups I am tanking for, that a paladin doesn't have a charge and needs a few moments of time to get aggro and positioning. Usually I say, "Hey DPS, count to five before you unload on the mobs. I have a simple rule, you pull it, you buy it." I exclude the healer from this as if they pull aggro, that's my fault.

Apparently counting to 5 is serious business...and is hard. I've had Lightening Bolts hit the target mob at the same time I got there. I've had DPS open with everything they had on the opening move. I've had ret pallies dropping consecrate to compete with me for aggro. Also, apparently downloading Omen is hard too. /facepalm

Oh and by the way, for those keeping track. Gert is now level 42. Uldaman is a cake walk. All guild run by folks who are BT cleared raiders and me. Fury warrior, Feral Druid, Resto Druid, Prot pally and me. The other pally was tanking. I was wielding two handers cuz I am just that good. ;)

0 Comments: